Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pulp Fiction Inspiration

Today I took a good look at the cover of Pulp Fiction. I realized how it was created to have the look and feel of an actual pulp fiction(a cheap fiction magazine published from the 1920s throughout the 1950s). It has wear and tear on the sides(I mean real wear and tear, the collector's edition does, anyway). Also, a version of it on google has a cheesy retro-looking "10 cents" logo on it. This classic movie poster reminded me that good design means getting a message across, not necessarily making something look pleasing to the eye, although it should involve both. When I see a movie poster like this, it leads me to question the way graphic designers follow the latest design trends. I guess with every design, the creator needs to choose whether following the latest design trend or going for something completely horrendous-looking according to modern day standards is the best way to catch a viewer's attention, or get an underlying meaning across.

No comments:

Post a Comment